Urban Klima 2050 Advances 2022 Report
The Urban Klima 2050 Advances 2022 Report sets out the actions in three policy areas – urban & peri-urban, river basins and the Basque coastal area – since the project started in 2019 to 2021.
The document, which was presented during the Uhinak 2022 conference, describes the following actions:
- Reviewing the climate energy planning of the Basque Country
- Climate risk assessment in the Basque Country
- Approval of the Climate Change and Energy Transition Plan 2021-2024
Establishing planning guidelines
- Integrating climate change in urban and territorial planning, in health and in hydrological policies.
- Integrating the climate change adaptation variable in the process to prepare Sectoral Territorial Plan of Renewable Energies in the Basque Country.
- Assessment of municipal emergency plans to analyse their adaptation to climate change.
Progress at urban and peri-urban level
- Nature-based solutions and their co-benefits with pilot schemes run in the three Basque capitals
- Key green infrastructure to improve the urban-rural connection and the resilience of the territory with different pilot projects in Bermeo, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Donostia/San Sebastián and Debarrena supramunicipal district (Gipuzkoa)
- Healthy and sustainable mobility
- Introduction of renewable energies
Advances in river basins
- Pilot schemes in rivers basins, drafting the project to create floodable areas next to the course of the River Estepona through Bakio; or the rewilding of the area along the Errekatxulo watercourse in Añorga (Donostia/San Sebastián) and the banks of the River Ebro through Labastida (Araba)
- Adaptation measures regarding the water supply in the River Baia basin
Advances in the coastal area.
- Adaptation of the urban coast: development of early warning tools and to predict the effects of climate change along the Zarautz promenade or La Concha and Ondarreta beaches; assessment of the impact of climate change on 28 beaches of the Basque Country.
- Adaptation of the ports: study of the port of Ondarroa and assessment of the flood protection of the urban environments of 15 Basque ports.
Advances in empowering the population and administration.
- Citizen awareness initiatives on the consequences of climate change
- Citizen science platform
- Strengthening climate change technical skills and training in the Public Administration
- Use of public procurement as an element of change
- Generating tools and training for local councils
- Creating coordination groups and financing sources
Advances in climate governance
- Climate change hub: observation and monitoring system
- Analysis of the integration of the climate-energy policies in regional policies influencing the large urban population centres
- Designing new governance models for climate action
URBAN KLIMA 2050 ADVANCES 2022 REPORT