Uhinak 2022 to gather together 150 experts and delegates to discuss and propose solutions for the coastal climate emergency
Urban Klima 2050 will showcase its advances at its own stand at the fifth conference on climate and coastal change to be held at Ficoba (Irun) on 16 and 17 November.
The V Cross-Border Conference on Climate and Coastal Change - Uhinak 2022 will gather together 150 experts and delegates on 16 and 17 November. In over 40 lectures and sessions, they will discuss climate change up to 2050, extreme events and adaptation measures; climate change mitigation and biodiversity restoration; governance, management tools and communication.
During the two days of the conference at the Ficoba Exhibition Centre in Irun, the LIFE IP Urban Klima 2050 project will have its own stand with information on the advances in its different climate change mitigation and adaptation actions. Actions such as implementing a system to automatically share and analyse video camera images to calculate the wave overflows at harbours and beaches and its integration in the risk prevention and watch system; the study of the current status of Ondarroa port; and the preparation project to strengthen its seawall.
In the same way as in 2015, the year in which the conference was held for the first time, Uninak's goal is to provide a discussion forum for the sectors and stakeholders with the capacity to reverse or mitigate climate change.
Therefore, yet again this year, political and technical representatives of coastal communities and municipalities, administrations with competence in the field, experts from technology centres, research centres, journalists and companies that will have to address the changes ahead will meet in person at Ficoba. During a packed two-day schedule, they will join forces, work together and advance in decision making to curb climate change that is already considered a serious threat.
The conference has four strategic goals, namely to:
- Find out the policies and solutions aimed at adopting the necessary measures to defend and protect the coastline against climate change.
- Learn about experiences and best practices, and cooperate in the management and maintenance of the coastline.
- Address climate change and the coastline from a cross-border perspective as a measure to create the necessary synergies to tackle climate change.
- Discover the new opportunities for a private sector that will be key when realising the necessary actions to mitigate the consequences of the climate emergency.
Thematic blocks and lectures
The two-day conferences has a packed programme with over 40 lectures and sessions aimed at providing multiple points of view on the current situation of our coastline, its possible evolution over the coming years, the increase in extreme events and the measures to tackle this climate emergency scenario on our coasts.
Therefore, the content of the V Uhinak is structured around four thematic blocks:
- Current situation and in 2050 of our coastline in a climate change context
- Extreme events and adaptation measures
- Climate change mitigation and biodiversity restoration
- Governance, management tools and communication
Prominent international and national personalities, who are already featured on the conference's website (www.uhinak.com), will be taking part in all the blocks.
Uhinak is a Cross-Border Conference on Climate and Coastal Change organised by Ficoba and the AZTI technology centre, with the support of multiple institutions including the Basque Government's Ministry of Economic Development, Sustainability and the Environment through Ihobe, its environmental management agency, Gipuzkoa Regional Government (Environmental Department), Communauté d'agglomération Pays Basque and the Nouvelle Aquitaine Region.