The information obtained from monitoring and reviewing the Basque Country's Climate Change Strategy, KLIMA 2050, has made it possible to identify challenges and identify a number of improvements that have been taken into account in drawing up the Basque Country's new energy-climate plan, the Energy Transition and Climate Change Plan 2021-2024, which is the precursor to the Basque Country's Energy Transition and Climate Change Roadmap to 2050, with its strategy to 2030, which is currently being drawn up in parallel with the Law on Energy Transition and Climate Change.
EU Climate and Energy Framework
- Reduce emissions by at least 40%
- Improve energy efficiency by at least 32,5%
- Presence of renewables in final energy used of at least 32%
European Climate Change Adaptation Strategy
- Smarter adaptation: improve knowledge and manage uncertainty.
- More systemic adaptation: support the development of policies at all levels and in all relevant areas.
- Faster adaptation: speed up adaptation in all areas.
European Green Pact
European Climate Law
- Reduce emissions by 23%
- Improve energy efficiency by at least 39.5%
- Presence of renewables in final energy used of at least 42%
- Update regional projections
- Generate knowledge and skills
- Prioritise risks
- Integration in plans, programmes, and sector regulations
Climate Change and Energy Transition Law
CLIMATE CHANGE STRATEGY OF THE BASQUE REGION KLIMA 2050
Basque Energy Strategy 2030 (3E2023)
Climate Change and Energy Transition Plan 2021-2024
Basque Energy Transition and Climate Change Law
Law 4/2019 on Energy Sustainability in the Basque Region
Local climate and estrategy plans
The Energy Transition and Climate Change Plan 2021-2024 is intended to contribute to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and strengthening renewable energies, adapting the region, and creating jobs and fostering innovation across the whole area. To achieve this, the specific objectives of the Plan are as follows:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30%.
- Reach a 20% share of renewable energy in final energy consumption.
- Ensure the resilience of the Basque region to climate change.
The Energy Transition and Climate Change Plan 2021-2024 is based on 3 strategic focal points and 9 lines of action, which are broken down into 27 areas of work.
Download the CCETP 2021-2024
The Climate Change and Energy Transition Plan 2021-2024 proposes mitigation actions such as the promotion of sustainable mobility and the introduction of renewable energy. Likewise, actions are being proposed to improve resilience, adapt the territory, municipalities, infrastructures, etc. In this context, the LIFE IP Urban Klima 2050 project is an accelerator to activate climate action in the Basque Country.